Monday 15 February 2010

The Purple Emperor by Herbie Brennan

After Henry helps Pyrgus and Holly Blue thwart the night faeries plan to overtake the Fairy Realm, he returns home to keep things on Earth afloat until it’s time for him to attend the coronation of Pyrgus as The Purple Emperor. Unfortunately, the night faeries are again planning a coup, only this time by more devious methods than the last. Lord Hairstreak has reanimated the corpse of Apatura Iris, Pyrgus’ and Holly’s father, and are using his body as a puppet to banish the two from the Faerie Realm, instead putting their half brother, Comma, on the throne, with Hairstreak as his guardian.

This is the second book in The Faerie Wars Chronicles, and is one I bought in one of the Audible sales. I had tried to read it before, but found you really needed to read The Faerie Wars first in order to get the most of the book. The Faerie wars was good, but not great and frankly if I hadn’t already owned The Purple Emperor, I wouldn’t have bought it. As it was, I had it and thought I might as well listen to it, but I wasn’t really expecting much from this book, especially as sequels often get worse and not better. That is, however, not at all the case with this book. The Purple Emperor was much better then The Faerie Wars. The story was better, the characters had more definition and the plot was a lot less predictable. I do believe I will actually be purchasing the third and fourth books now that I’ve read this one.

It’s a children’s/young teens book, and as such, I give The Purple Emperor 4 out of 5 with a good recommendation for kids in that age group.

No comments: