Tuesday 20 April 2010

the Meme-y Meme

I borrowed this meme from Dog Ear Diary who borrowed it from C.B. James. Let me preface this by saying I haven’t yet read the Farm Lane Books comparison between UK and USA blogs so I missed the whole American blog blowup. I’d never actually thought about it much either. This is probably because I never really associate blogs with where the people are, but who they are and whether I find what they write interesting or not. My blog is relatively simplistic and uncluttered. What this says about me I don’t know. I just know I don’t necessarily care for blogs with lots of blinking and flashing of buttons and ads, so I don’t add them to mine. I also don’t parade my private life on the web much, which some people may not like, but I just don’t consider it interesting, or public, enough to waffle on about to anyone who happens to pass by. I know people who have gotten in trouble by doing that, so I avoid it if I can. That’s part of the reason I don’t often do memes, because many of them can become rather personal. It may be boring, but it keeps me out of trouble.
Now, on to the meme…


Do you participate in memes?
Rarely, for the reasons mentioned above. I like really good memes, but I don’t just do them to have something to do. I don’t have enough time for that. This particular one is on a subject I think we should all think more about.

Do you participate in Book Tours? What about ARCS?
I’ve never done a book tour or received and ARC. I probably never will since many seem to be limited to residents of the US, which I am not. I wouldn’t mind reading a few ARCs and blogging about them though. It might help widen my world when it comes to genres I prefer to read.

Do you encourage followers? Do you follow?
Not really. I work on the principle that if I want to read someone’s blog, I bookmark them and then go to their blog when I have time. I read many more blogs than I comment on, although I do comment as often as I have time to, so that might not even be considered following. Respectively, I assume that since my blog is public and anyone who wants to read it can, they will return and read more if they so desire. Not that it hurts to know you have readers.

What do you think of giveaways and other contests?
Contests and giveaways are great for those who can participate and I have nothing against them. Again, since I’m not in the US, many contests aren’t open to me anyway. I don’t hold them myself because our post office requires a huge fee and 6 pints of blood before they will send a letter. The rates go up for packages, usually requiring a small limb or two. I don’t have that many appendages.

Do you read and/or conduct author interviews?
I occasionally read them, but I’ve never interviewed an author. I don’t think I’d be particularly good at it either.

Do you enjoy challenges?
Yes, but only if I’m really interested in the subject/author. I love the Classics Challenge, for example, because I’ve made it a personal goal to read as many as I can just to improve my general education. A lot of the ones I’m taking part in right now will take care of themselves and so aren’t really a challenge to me. E.g. the Classics Challenge will cover the Typically British challenge and the Marple, Poirot, Holmes challenge. The Christie Challenge will motivate me to read more of the Christie books, which I didn’t actually plan on, so it’s more of challenge to me, as is the 100+ Challenge (read 100+ books in a year). I want to read at least 100, if not 150, although the later probably won’t happen. So yes, I do enjoy them as long as they don’t try and get me to spend time on things I would rather not. It is, after all, my fun time I’m spending here!

Do you like giving/getting awards?
Yes, I do (to both). I think they are a great way of saying, Hey! I really like your blog.

What is your opinion of cat videos?
If they’re funny, then great, otherwise I’m not forced to watch them, so I hit the stop button. I’m not sure why this question is limited to cat videos since there are thousands of types of videos that fit into the “Why would anyone but the people involved want to watch this?” category. Just because I find my dog and her new friend from next door adorable, doesn’t mean the rest of the world wants to watch them. I’d personally never post a video, or even a picture, unless there was just that something special about it that I thought might amuse other people. I have posted pictures of my animals, but not many and not often. Just occasionally to add some variety.

I think with any blog it’s all about balance. I can ignore memes, challenges, videos, interviews, well, basically anything I want when reading a blog. It’s only when a blog becomes top-heavy with “filler material” or too busy that I stop reading it. There are some blogs I read, where it became difficult to sort the real, “yes I did actually read this book and here are my opinions on it”, posts from the daily memes etc. and I quit reading them. I also, as mentioned above, find the incessant blinking and changing of multiple icons, ads, gadgets etc. annoying. When I click on a blog, and my eyes are drawn to the sides rather than to the middle where the meat should be, I usually just click off again because I don’t have the time to search for what I really want to read.

Ignore at will - Just to add some variety and because I personally thought it was funny, I’m adding a picture of my dog and her new neighbour (16 week old Landseer). Just so you know, no dogs were given any beer or other alcoholic beverages before, during or after the making of this picture…nor were they made acquainted with any tavern songs inappropriate for minors. Also note the lack of cats in the picture. Although generally present when the dogs are outside, they all wandered off shaking their heads while the shoot was taking place. Disdain was rife.


When the fit had passed...

4 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Sorry, i was distracted by the Poirot Holmes challenge. Must go check it out.

Jeane said...

Well, I thought I was the only one not into following! Agree with you on most other points, too.

Scrabblequeen said...

I pretty much agree with your take on the blog thing...altho, I do some memes if it suits me at the moment. I didn't know about the great US/UK blog thing either...does it matter enough to go research?

ladyrook said...

I'm sorry I know I should be commenting on the serious things but OMG that pic made me laugh!