Sunday 30 May 2010

No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Precious Ramotswe is alone in the world after her father dies, but she declares her intention to use her inheritance wisely and start her own business, a detective agency. She’ll be the first woman detective in Botswana, but since she has a knack for judging people and observing how they work, she’s confident she can make a go of it. So, she sets up her business, hires a secretary and waits for business. At first, it’s slow-going, but as word spread, her business improves and she begins to build up a client base and gain notoriety. Fraud or witchcraft, nothing is too much for Precious.

I’d heard of this book many times, but had never gotten around to reading it, so when it showed up in a sale, I couldn’t resist. I know a lot of people like the series, but I was disappointed in it. Yes, it was a decent read, but not very challenging and nothing about it really seemed to grab me. Yes, Precious is a likeable character but her cases just lack something. They may just be too simple for my taste. That may change with the development of the series and if that is so, I’d love to know, so if anyone has continued with the books, let me know. For me, this one gets a 2.5 out of 5, readable, but not overly riveting.

1 comment:

Scrabblequeen said...

I've read perhaps the first 3 or 4 from this series. I like them well enough that I rented the DVD's from the short-lived TV show made from the stories. If you have access, they were worth watching.