Thursday 22 July 2010

Evil Star and Nightrise by Anthony Horowitz


These are the second and third books in the Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz. I reviewed the first, Raven’s Gate not all too long ago. Although I don’t really feel either of these books warrants a blog entry a piece, I will say that they are much better than Raven’s Gate. Raven’s Gate felt like it never really got off the ground, but Evil Star and Nightrise were both what I was expecting for the series. I did like Evil Star just a bit better than Nightrise, but I think that’s because of the switch in characters. Just as you were feeling comfortable with Matt, Nightrise takes you somewhere different. However, that’s not to say that Nightrise isn’t worth the read, it just foreshadows lots of change for the series.

Evil Star is the continuation of Matt’s story. Just when he thinks it’s all over and can resume his life, he’s whisked away to Peru to try and prevent the second gate from opening.

Nightrise is the story of two twin brothers, Scott and Jamie, who are performing on stage in Reno, Nevada with their mind reading trick, only there is no trick. They really can read each other’s minds. That is their power as given to them as two of the five. Scott and Jamie must flee for their lives when men from the Nightrise corporation come for them. They don’t know it yet, but Nightrise is their greatest enemy and they will do anything to get their hands on the boys for reasons Scott and Jamie have yet to understand.

None of these will ever be my favourite YA books, but they are a good read none the less. Maybe I would be more enthusiastic if I were in the target age range, but I still think they’d take a back seat to books like Harry Potter or the Bartimaeous Trilogy. Still, I can recommend them as a good, light read to anyone who likes the magic genre. 3 out of 5.

No comments: