Monday 19 July 2010

The Five Red Herrings by Dorothy Sayers

Sandy Campbell is a drunken, aggressive painter who manages to make enemies of nearly everyone in the small village in Galloway. Lord Peter Wimsey is in the area fishing and as he knows, and likes, most of the people in the village, he offers his assistance and with his help, the police set off to find out which one of 5 men killed Campbell.

There’s not much to say about this one. Sayers has never grabbed me like Christie did, so unless I get them on sale or from the library, I haven’t really put much effort into reading her books. They’re cosy, comfortable mysteries good for a pleasant bout of reading that doesn’t require a whole lot of thought or effort. This one is neither brilliant, nor horrible. It earns a solid 3 from me.

1 comment:

postJazz said...

Five red herrings is one her worst I feel - but Busman's Honeymoon and Nine Tailors in particular make up for it!